The May/June 2009 print-edition of Foreign Policy magazine contained a piece called The Land of No Smiles. The piece was a collection of photos taken by Tomas Van Houtryve who went to North Korea posing as a business man trying to open a chocolate factory. An online edition of the article was also published and is available here. He has also explained how he was able to penetrate North Korea in a story for Time magazine and in radio interviews for BBC and NPR.
- Tomas van Houtryve’s personal online portfolio
- Tomas van Houtryve’s Facebook page
- Documentary: Shooting Robert King
- National Geographic: Can Americans go to North Korea?
- US State Department: DPRK Country Information
- Koryo Tours: North Korea
- Wiki: Internet in North Korea
- Wiki: The Pyongyang Times
- Wiki: Media of North Korea
- EmilePhaneuf.com: Official websites for heads of state (including Kim Jong-il)